The recruitment process is flawed, and both recruiters and job seekers know it. Huge candidate volumes force companies to use technologies like ATS (applicant tracking systems) to scan through resumes and select appropriate ones.
Consequently, a candidate’s career prospects are decided by a piece of tech, which is often clouded with uncertainty.
However, things are changing, thanks to Artificial Intelligence.
Using AI to apply for jobs(via tools like ChatGPT) is quickly becoming the norm, as candidates can quickly tailor resumes and write compelling cover letters. They can also get additional help like interview pointers, education highlights, incorporating skills as per JD requirements, etc when applying to jobs.
But, to do this right, you need to know how to implement AI for smarter job-hunting.
So, in this blog, we’ll take a deep dive into using ChatGPT to apply for jobs, the benefits of using AI for job applications, and its limitations.
Let’s get going!
Table of Contents
Can you use AI for job applications?
Yes, you can use AI for job applications, for various purposes, from creating attractive cover letters to sending out emails to recruiters.
Here are 4 key use cases of using AI to apply for jobs:
1. Enhancing your cover letter
While there are fancy AI tools out there that build cover letters, most of them are paid. Instead, ChatGPT is completely free and requires just some accurate and informative inputs to help you draft excellent cover letters. All you need to do is copy-paste the JD, mention your skills/experience, and you can fine-tune the generated outputs to make a cover letter.
2. Optimizing your LinkedIn
Your LinkedIn profile also plays a key role while applying to jobs. You can use the power of ChatGPT to tweak your LinkedIn profile to increase your chances of getting noticed.
For instance, if you’re seeking project manager roles, you can prompt ChatGPT with something like this: “I am applying for project manager roles in the healthcare industry. Write a professional and comprehensive profile introduction and skills section that highlights relevant experience and focuses on my capabilities as a project manager.”
After a few tries and editing the outputs, you can copy-paste the information to your LinkedIn resume or profile sections and impress recruiters.
3. Writing follow-up, thank you, and introductory emails
Constant emails are also a part of job search. This includes sending out follow-up emails, introductory emails, or even thank-you emails after you’re given a job offer.
Through prompts like “Write a follow-up email to a hiring manager for a data analyst job interview”, you can put AI to good use and streamline email communications.
4. Writing up your CV
Let’s say you’re applying for a developer’s role but you’re unsure which skills to highlight and what education achievements to showcase first. ChatGPT can help you in situations like these.
You can either ask it for guidance or provide specific information to get the desired results.
For example, you can give a prompt like “I have 5 years of Java development experience and have an M.Sc. degree in computer science. What skills and educational highlights should I put on my resume when applying for Java developer jobs?” and fine-tune the output to send out a compelling resume.
Understanding ChatGPT and how it works
Built by OpenAI, ChatGPT is an AI chatbot that provides human-like responses, based on human prompts. In essence, it interprets a given text and offers relevant replies based on its extensive knowledge and in-depth machine learning algorithms.
ChatGPT is a state-of-the-art LLM that has been on the rise since last year, thanks to its various use cases, from drafting full-fledged articles to helping people write their emails. It’s useful for almost anything, including career advice, content creation, customer support, and of course, job applications.
ChatGPT is now an in-demand tool and mastering it is a valuable professional skill. Be10X offers a comprehensive workshop on learning AI tools like ChatGPT for workplace upskilling. Learn more here.
Benefits and drawbacks of using AI to apply for jobs
There’s no denying that applying to jobs using ChatGPT and other AI tools is lucrative. However, it also carries certain limitations that you must know when using AI for job applications.
Here are some notable pros and cons of using AI to apply for jobs:
- Saving a lot of time by getting tailored resumes and cover letters almost instantly.
- Boosting efficiency by learning what interview questions to prep for, what points to highlight for a particular position, and what to write when sending an email to the recruiter.
- Personalizing cover letters and resumes based on the job description to increase the chances of getting recruited.
- A lack of personal touch, as ChatGPT is still AI and provides impersonal outputs. Hence, simply copy-pasting its responses can be counterproductive.
- Misinterpretation of data, as AI can often miss key details or misinterpret JD data. Hence, thorough checking and editing are key to using AI tools efficiently.
- The limited ability to judge a position’s required soft skills, as AI tools are mostly good at determining the hard skills for a role.
Using ChatGPT to apply for jobs: how to supercharge your job hunt
Here comes the good part. As mentioned earlier, you can use AI tools like ChatGPT to be a smarter candidate when hunting for jobs.
Here’s how you can use ChatGPT to apply for jobs:
1. Tailoring your resume
Create your free account on ChatGPT and start tailoring your CV as per the job description. Use a prompt like “List down resume achievements with metrics based on the given job responsibilities below” and copy-paste your desired JD. Double-check and edit the response wherever needed, and you will have compelling bullet points ready to be added to your resume for the best results.
2. Answering job application questions
Let’s say the JD you’re applying for has asked you to specify your experience with database management. You can prompt ChatGPT to help you answer it, by simply writing “Analyze my resume below to determine my previous database management experience. Write a professional answer in clear and intellectual language describing my database management capabilities and expertise with the relevant tools.” Then, copy-paste the text from your CV and cross-check the results to answer the question!
3. Writing personalized cover letters
As mentioned earlier, you can also create compelling cover letters using ChatGPT. So, if you’re applying to a senior account manager position and the JD requires you to send a cover letter, write a prompt like “In around 200 words, write a persuasive and professional cover letter for my job application to a fin-tech company as a senior account manager, incorporating the details I’ve listed below” and copy-paste the JD below your prompt. Trying this a few times will help you determine an ideal output. Edit it and copy-paste it to send over as the cover letter.
4. Following up with recruiters
Amongst the many email back-and-forth you’ll have when job searching, the most important is the follow-up email to a recruiter. This can get time-consuming if you’re constantly applying for jobs and have multiple emails to send, so use ChatGPT for help. Use prompts like “Write a follow-up email for my job application for a digital marketing executive’s role at (company name) to (recruiter’s name)” and cross-check the response to send over the email.
New to ChatGPT? Attend the Be10X AI tools workshop to hone your skills in using ChatGPT for effective job searching and application processes. Read more here.
Prompts to use when applying to jobs using ChatGPT
To help you get started with smarter job applications, here are some prompts you can edit as per your resume and JD to streamline your job hunt:
- “I am applying for (job title) at (organization) for a data scientist’s role. List suggestions on how I can structure my resume to showcase me being a good cultural fit.”
- “I’m currently employed and want to switch companies. Suggest some effective strategies for job searching.”
- “I’m trying to understand if I’m a good fit as (job title) at (organization). Compare my resume with the JD I’ve written below to evaluate how well my profile aligns with the role.”
- “I have applied for (job position) at (company) and want to send an application email to the recruiter. Use my resume attached below and the given job description to draft a professional email within 100 words to be sent as my application email to the potential employer.”
- “I am applying for (job position) in an IT recruiting company. Can you list down the key interview questions I should prepare for during my final interview round with the founder?”
To wrap up, using ChatGPT to apply for jobs is not just a hot trend anymore. It’s one of the most solid strategies that can help you be a robust job seeker and apply for jobs in the most efficient way possible.
Let’s face it, the entire job searching procedure is tedious and often frustrating. However, thanks to AI, you can expedite some of the tasks and make sure you land your desired role quickly.
However, if you’re new to ChatGPT and AI tools in general, this could get really challenging. But worry not, as you can attend Be10X’s AI tools workshop to quickly learn AI tools and master using them for professional upskilling. Click here to know more.